Re: [RC] Parelli (and other clinicians) - Mary Ann Spencer

You are correct. But so many resort to the 'old' brutal or semibrutal ways when in a stress situation....... IE: so darn many times when a horse balks at loading someone is always there with a big whip!! People also need to be taught when to quit............ and wait for the next time.

Not all people who want to be with horses and ride horses have access to nice trainers. Have a great guideline is great. When I started Parelli, I soon found that a lot of what I did in the past was not wrong but was on the right dircection.

The only thing I got from the local dressage trainer was a better seat......... unfortunately she thought her way was the only way. AND she was heavy handed with the whip!!!! ' cuz that is what is takes with those warmbloods'.... not wonder she did not do so well with Arabs.

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:40 AM
Subject: [RC] Parelli (and other clinicians)

I have to add my own two cents worth on ANY system taught by clinicians.

They are all trainers with a plan and they have documented their plan
generically, to market to the average horse owner.  The thing that the
average horse owner does NOT glean from any ONE plan is that each horse is
an individual and will require some sort of modification to the training to
best suit that horse.  The best thing an average horse owner could do is to
attend all the clinicians seminars, read all the clinicians books and put
together pieces from each one that works for not just the owner but the
horse.

I have broke hundreds of horses in my barn over the years for owners.  If I
had a lot of money and an excellent marketing team, I could sell my methods
to the general public, too.  It's not about any one method, it's about
listening to the horse.  And that's all it really is.

Communication.

The horse already knows how to listen and many an owner messes up their
horse because they have communicated the wrong information.  So, IN MY
OPINION,  that's the best lesson the clinicians offer....communication
skills for the human.

Dodie