Re: [RC] OT: Jobs vs. Gates - Truman Prevatt

I though it funny that anyone would credit Gates with making computers user friendly. Anyone that said that has obviously not used a Mac. As far as user friendly the PC today is where the Mac was in about 1994. There are just too many local computer shops that have sprung up in the last 5 years - dealing with Windoz boxes for anyone to believe Windoz is that user friendly. We have two in little old Brooksville, FL.

There is a reason that engineers prefer Windoz boxes - they like to tinker, fiddle around and tweak and the Windoz box provides opportunity galore to do that. In fact many of them spend more time fiddling around with their computer that they get very little productive work done on them. That's why today most engineering task are mostly using Linux/Unix boxes. Oh did I say Linux, well behind the wonderful Mac interface is a Linux operating system.

We pulled the Mac out of the box for my 80 year old mother and fired it up. Within 30 nanoseconds she was terrorizing friends and families with emails jokes using her Mac. We created a monster. I fear that if it had been a Windoz box, within a day or two she would have it so screwed up it would be locked up and sitting on the desk never turned on.

I would expect you would find the Windoz box the preferred PC for the left brain crowd and the Mac the preferred PC for the right brain crowd. I would also expect you will find a much higher proportion of left handed and ambidextrous people using the Mac than the Windoz box. Though I just throw that in to see if we could get the pot boiling again ;-) .

Truman

Cindy Collins wrote:
Thank you so much for stating the facts. I was just cringing over someone saying that Gates made computers user friendly. He, obviously, is a brilliant business man who did many things better than Jobs, but making computers user friendly is NOT one of them :)

Apple's Steve Jobs was the one who recognized the genius in XEROX PARC's
interface and licensed it from them to put on the LISA, followed shortly
by the original MacIntosh.

Cindy Collins
c_collins@xxxxxxx <mailto:c_collins@xxxxxxx>

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics