[RC] Parelli-trained HORSES - Karen Sullivan

Kat talked about some of the people who are Parelli-ites and how they
can give a negative impression; I want to talk about what my
observations have been about so called Parelli trained HORSES...I have
run into in the last 17 years....

#1 I  have observed; especially if a horse is advertised as being
Parelli trained or through level X or Y........I know there are going
to be major respect issues......
I am currently here recovering from good kick to mid-thigh from
"Parelli-trained level 1 mare.....who came to me with a good dose of
disrespect to people....

My introduction to these methods came in 1990 when I bought a horse
that was"Parelli trained", which I guess was supposed to be a
bonus.....the owner showed me some stuff about shaking the rope and
the horse backs up, etc...do all this ground work first EVERYTIME
before you get on the horse.....why? Well okay....I bought the horse
based on riding him once (good price)....trusted my instincts.....and
also started looking into who Parelli was and what he did......the
owner told me he did clinics for "problem horses/"  Should have been
giant red flag...which I ignored because I liked the horse......that
horse had MAJOR, major problems, huge holes, would not yield to right
without backing, bucking, rearing......owner refused to take horse
back; I had 3 trainers assess this horse and tell me he had dangerous
holes....BTW, he was sold to me as kid-safe horse.

But that did get me to inquire about who this Parelli guy was and what
the training was about .  Gosh, over the years, especially early to
mid-90's...tons of stories of people hurt in his clinics, horses hurt,
too many people and horse clumped together, stupid, dangerous
stuff.....(this off of rec. equestrian and ridecamp)....then photos in
articles in magazines of more incredibly dangerous, and stupid
stuff.....riding horses into back on trailer?  A small child with NO
HELMET standing on the back of a pony (no halter, saddle or
bridle).....people kneeling in the dirt directly in front of their
horses to halter and bridle....all this grandstanding type stuff that
maybe looked impressive, but not only had no practical application,
but downright dangerous!!!  And new people see all this?
7-games video, come on..people at end of video all milling around with
no bridles, helmets, see guy falling off his horse at the end...

Whoops, off topic, back to the horses......again, my experience is
that any horse I have bought with initial Parelli training has been
lacking some very important basics regarding respect for humans....and
comes with a lot of other garbage I have to then fix.....example of
gelding I bought from Parelli level something trainer.....for some
reason I can't figure, he was trained to move his back legs away from
you if you LOOKED at them.....please tell me what useful application
this would be?  First of all, this horse had a cut on his back leg
that I had to LOOK at....hard to look at the cut if he keeps moving
away!!!   But.....He wasn't trained to move away from pressure..hence,
one of my cues to start teaching a horse from the ground to disengage
hindquarters is for me to put my hand behind the girth (where your leg
would go, right?), and have the horse step under and move away to
pressure......he had no clue what that meant....anyway, he still has
some issues I am working on.

I could relate stories forever like that..but my overall experience
when I have looked at horses to buy, if they are advertised at
Parellit trained I know I have a LOT of work to do to fix problems and
instill some basic, safe respect....I have yet to come across one that
truly impresses me.....again, my disclaimer is that these are my
observations based on living in my own little corner of the world in
California, the horses I come across, what what I have read and
seen......

I guess I am the female version of a curmudgeon (is that a b$*%h
<g>)...but I could forgive all the flash and showy Parelli
grandstanding, his annoying Parelli-speak, his totally overpriced
gear, if he didn't advertise and show so much downright dangerous and
stupid stuff.....THAT is what turns me totally off to the
program........
Karen