RE: [RC] Parelli and Natural Horsemanship - Smith, Dave

Gee, Kat, I guess I too would be put off by a horde of missionary
"Parellites" all demanding that I do as they do if I was as surrounded
by them as you apparently are.  My heart goes out to you and those
others they've reportedly insulted.  Like I said, no one likes a bore
particularly a bore with a zeal to convert the unbelieving.

As far as the design of the carrot stick, hey, it's just a stick with a
detachable string.  You can use it, use your arms, use a dressage whip,
use a willow stick or simply use your imagination if that's what works
for you. I've found the carrot stick to be quite effective.  My wife and
I share ours.  Neither of us has ever had any difficulty handling it.
Certainly no tendonitis. By the way, a number of other clinicians market
their own version.

Speaking of marketing, I don't begrudge the Parellis selling shirts,
hats, saddles, pads or anything else that will make them a buck. Most
clinicians are marketing something -- DVDs, books, etc.  I'm a
capitalist.  This is a capitalistic nation. I believe in the
capitalistic system.  Yes, Pat and Linda are marketers and they appear
to be making a bundle.  So what? Wish I could follow suit. Causes me no
envy, what-so-ever.  If I don't want any of their stuff I'm old enough
to say "no thanks."

And while their stuff is expensive, it is also high quality.  I know,
I've purchased cheaper knock-offs and they just don't hold up as well.
Interestingly, before Parelli, a rope to me was just a rope.  Now I know
that a quality rope is worth the extra money.

And to Milroy, you and I obviously differ because I believe that when it
comes to horses, the Parellis are great teachers -- how else do you
explain the many thousands of horse people around the world who have
voluntarily come to them for their teaching.

And to you and Kat and Stacy, I've said my piece about them and their
methods.  I find they work for me and mine.  You apparently don't.  So
be it. I respect your right to a differing point of view. Instead of
continuing what apparently is a fruitless discourse, I plan to finish up
this Friday with a ride in beautiful Auburn.  The weather today is
gorgeous -- low, dry 90s with a cooling sea breeze blowing in from the
San Francisco Bay. I can almost feel Hermano under me how.  Hope you can
have a good ride too.

--Dave