Re: [RC] horse slaughter - Diane Trefethen

Raven wrote:
well...believe i am NOT rich!  i am not an endurance rider nor a show
horse owner. I make sacrifices in my life to be able to AFFORD my 2
ponies...my 2 friends in my back yard. raven

I said nothing about being rich. And the comments were valid IF a person could afford all those things. The insensitive part was in the not so subtle suggestion that EVERYONE should be able to afford "to humanely euthanize" their horse and that they were somehow immoral if they couldn't. Just because YOU have enough discretionary money to afford something does not mean that everyone else does too. Then again, circumstances change. You may be fine today, but wake up tomorrow in ICU with brain damage so you can't go back to your regular job again. Now what? How do you pay for all those things that you used to struggle to afford and now the money you struggled with won't be coming in any more? What if you no longer know why you care about horses?

There are quite a few people on this list with strong opinions on WHAT OTHER PEOPLE SHOULD DO who haven't got a clue how it is to BE those other people. Although it might be nice to get to the grave without ever having to have chosen between what you know is right and what you know is right, I, for one, like having been tested. Satisfied with which right I chose? Yes. Sorry I let the other one slip? Yes. But I've learned that my way might be only one way, not the only way.