Re: [RC] [RC] horse slaughter - Raven

The same people that love their horse so much will ride them
forever just to say they reach a mileage milestone

On this point...I think it really depends on the horse. There are
horses that should be retired in their 20's and others that are still
going fairly strong into their late 20's and early 30's. Horses are
like humans...some of us...are broken down, achy and ready for the
sofa and others are still enjoying life and adventures in their 70's &
80's.

Putting on my flame suit. I had a TWH horse who was a gelding the last
20 years of his life. I rode that horse forever and in his mid 20's my
hubby rode him. Banjo was a "can do it, easy for novice riders type of
horse", but when I rode him...it was party time. He knew how to take
care of novice riders, but also enjoyed eating up the trail with
experienced riders.

When Banjo was about 30, he started to slow down,so..he was
semi-retired. We used him for easy short rides on the flat, maybe my
hubby would ride him once or twice a month. I still took Banjo camping
and he loved being in camp and watching all the excitement.

At 34 ...Banjo started having problems with his hocks, and I was
afraid to load him into the trailer...so he was retired. No more
riding and worse of all...no more camping trips. This just broke his
heart.

When ever I loaded up my other walker into the trailer, Banjo would
just stand by the gate, he could see that he still wanted to go.

He spent the last 5 years of his life...being a beautiful pasture
ornament. And I cherish those years that I had him.  Sure, the last
five years...were expensive vet years, as old horses tend to have
certain health issues and diet needs. He could only eat mushes and
chopped forage, due to his lack of teeth. But, it never occured to me
to ship him for the blood money that I could get for him.

After all those 39 years of partnership...he deserves a death with
dignity.  And is he buried in my back yard.

If someone can afford to shoe a horse. Can afford to fuel a truck. Can
afford camping fees to horse camp. And can afford new tack...then they
sure as heck as afford to humanely euthanaize a horse, pay for a
backhoe or call a rendering truck.

I do not and will never support the slaughter of horses. They are
companion animals, just like our dogs and cats.

Raven (flame suit is on)
Lucy & Molly, the Girl Doggies
Huginn & Dixie Chick, the Back Behind the Barn Ponies

Respect ALL Earthlings. We are all animals of this planet. We are all creatures.