[RC] was slaughter update. - Karen Everhart

Morning LP-

Since I am in the "rescue" business, my first question is:  why do folk think that they have the "right" to throw away an animal?  Any animal?  It is made to sound like these folk are in a horrible situation because they no longer desire to care for the "good 'ol riding horse". I have been doing this for a few years now and I can tell you that 1 of 50 calls is from someone who can no longer (due to health, death of a spouse, divorce) care for the animal.  Instead it is "she's old" or "she's lame" and we just don't need/want her anymore.  Where does accountability and responsibility come in to play?

Is "throwing grandma away" also condoned?  Unfortunately, in the US, that answer is often "yes".  But that means that someone becomes financially responsible after she is thrown into a nursing home, etc.  Too often it is state Medicaid, unless there has been a hospitalization, and then Medicare might pay for 100 days.  We make it too easy to toss grandma into the nursing home and then pat our selves on the back if we visit once a month, all the while allowing our Sate taxes to pay for her care.  More often than not, it is because caring for her is inconvenient.

So, when throwing people and animals away is no longer convenient (i.e.slaughter auctions) then perhaps we might see a ramping up of societal responsibility.  If carcass removal is such a big deal (as so many say), then as a group (horse people) we need to come up with a solution rather than using slaughter as an acceptable option.  Here at our ranch, we compost.

Just my highly biased opinion on the matter since I care for rescued horses every day and have lost faith in many "horse people".

Karen Everhart MEd
Rainbow Meadows Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Serving the equine companions who have so loyally served us...
www.rainbowmeadowsranch.com
620-725-3402

Owner/Operator Horse Calls - Equine Management Solutions
Centered Riding Instructor
Distance Horse Conditioning and Training
www.horsecalls.com
316-648-5082