Re: [RC] strangles vaccines-spotted racer - Milroy Grosse

And yes, I had the vet send samples (after I had done the preliminary evaluation)  to the state lab - Strep Equiss.

Wow!!! You should write this up.  Because if that is true then one of two things happened.....

1.  Your killed vaccine came back to life and replicated or
2.  The "transformation" process transferred so much DNA that the "normal, endogenous" Strep typed as a completely different strain.

Is it possible that the intranasal modified vaccine (that can replicate) was given IM? Or maybe, because you were showing heavily, you had an infected asymptomatic horse at the time of vaccination.  Perhaps, then the vaccine and the outbreak were a coincidence.  I completely believe that horses can have reactions to vaccines.....however, I still think that because most of your guys got ill there was something else going on too.  That is why it would be nice if someone had the stats on the percentage of horses that receive the vaccine get ill.

Now effectiveness is another issue entirely.  I don't doubt that the IM vaccine was/is not effective, it's the wrong route of administration for the right protective response.

OK, maybe that is enough about this issue.  We can continue privately if you feel it is necessary.

Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!