[RC] RC] Woolback Girth Rubbing - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Sheri Thompson:
I am trying to find a girth for my saddle that won't rub my horse behind the front leg...

Sheri

I've finally solved this problem in my horse who
was rubbing with every cinch I tried, despite liberal
application of desitin/BodyGlide, etc.

Slathering him in desitin actually helped because I
could see *what* he was rubbing on.

I ended up with this Wintec girth:

http://www.trumbullmtn.com/Other_Pages/Fittings_pages/girth_pages/WE-AIRFLOdressage1.jpg

It has elastic in the middle - not my first choice, but
better than no elastic at all. Using the desitin showed
me how high I needed the buckles to go - I'm using
a longer girth to keep the buckles well above anywhere
his armpits come near. I had to punch a couple more
holes in my girth billets.

I've avoided any trim along the sides - the only trim
on this one is at the very end - well above his armpits.
(they make a contoured version of this, billed as a
"chafeless" girth... my horse rubbed in that, since i
has the trim along the edge to make the contoured
shape).

And I second Don's comment about breast-collar
loops - my guy rubbed worse on one side during
a 75 - and it wasn't until afterwards looking at the
photos that I noticed the BC loop pulled off to one
side.

Good luck.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA