[RC] hoof protection at Tevis - sherman

Dawn, I’ve also had 3 of the new type buckles break very quickly in the same manner as you describe. With the first one, I attributed the break to the buckle having come undone, then hitting a rock. I then made sure I used cotter pins every time I rode. That worked for a few 30 mile training rides on the Tevis trail. However, during Tevis, I again ended up with 2 broken rear buckles by the time I reached Auburn, again broken in the same manner as yours, and they did have cotter pins in, so hadn’t come undone first. My thought is to talk to Karen Chaton and see if maybe Easycare would like me to send these in so they can see what is happening. I thought they had already changed to a stronger metal, maybe some of the weaker ones are still out there. I’d had the old type buckles last ‘til the boots were worn out before breaking, and hoping they will put out a stronger buckle again.

Kathy

I used 4 regular Easy Boots over shoes.  However, I had an issue I've never had before.  These were new boots, and I had 3 buckles break.  Actually, one buckle broke during a 12 mile pre-ride (from the finish to Lower Quarry and back)...in fact, it broke during the 6 miles from the finish to Lower Quarry, as I noticed it was broken when we got to LQ.  The buckle simply snapped in half, leaving just one of the little slots for the cable.  Brand new boot, first time used.  :(  If a buckle can't handle 6 miles, much of which had no rocks...

The other two broke sometime during the first 36 miles of Tevis, before Robinson Flat.  One snapped in half just like the first one, and the other just snapped the tip off.  Again, brand spankin' new boots.  What the heck gives????  New kind of metal they're using for the buckles???  I ain't too happy...now I have to buy new buckles for 3 boots...and go through the hassle of replacing them.  :(

Anyone else had this problem?

Dawn Carrie