[RC] Strangles vaccine - Fred & Cynthia Ross

I'm not a vet either by any means but I will tell you of my experience with the strangles vaccine. Which I will never again give to any of my horses or mules.

I'd given my horse the strangles (nasal) vaccine for 7 years in a row. Then, 2 years ago, she got an Auto immune disease called Hemmorrhagica Purpura. It was horrible and nearly killed my horse. And this is a reaction that will only happen with repeated exposure to the vaccine. Never the first time. (and that brings up the question of over vaccinating ....) And a good many horses that get this disease do not survive. My horse was one of the lucky ones. The vaccine manufactured admitted that the Purpura was the result of the vaccine and paid for all my diagnostic work after I agreed to sign a paper that I would take no further action against them and that they were not admitting "culpability".  They did also tell me that 2 in 10,000 horses get either the Purpura or Bastard Strangle from the vaccine. And many cases are not reported or not properly diagnosed. So, this is just their figure on the numbers of reactions that ARE reported.
Don't get me wrong, I am not flaming the drug company and they were very pleasant to deal with. I only called them in the first place to report the reaction to the vaccine because I knew my vet had not done so. The drug company requested I send in all the test results from the vet so they could confirm the diagnoses and then offered to pay for the diagnostic work after they did confirm the diagnosis.

Talk with 10 different vets and you will get 10 different opinions on wether to give the vaccine or not. My vet at the time was pushing it. There are several in my area that do not recommend it. And I know of at least one that will make you sign a release statement if you want it and won't give it to his own horses.

Strangles is nasty but rarely kills a horse. I've never had one of my own horses get it but have worked in barns where it has happened. Like I said nasty, but not often fatal. A good friend of mine had her horse faithfully vaccinated every year and her horse still got strangles. He got over it and is now immune.

Cindy R. in Maine