RE: [RC] Speaking of beet pulp... - Alan Kay - Katrina Mosshammer

That is exactly the reason why we do it. We usually travel on Fri. and the horses were usually a little dehydrated at the pre-vet exam. This year we started e-lytes once a day the Sun. before and then up it to twice a day starting Thurs. before. Now we get to the ride with well hydrated horses and get much better scores at the pre-vet. And I feel much better since my mare doesn't drink until the adrenaline wears of a bit, which is sometimes not until we get back to camp after the first loop, so having her well hydrated to start with is so much better.

Katrina

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM
Sent: August 08, 2007 7:23 PM
To: 'sherman'; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Speaking of beet pulp... - Alan Kay

>Also, yes, electrolyes the eve before & morning of the ride are appropriate. Some >riders feel that the electrolyting should begin Thursday nite for a Saturday ride, >others say there’s no need to start that early since it’ll be flushed out if the excess >isn’t needed the way it is on ride day.

The reasoning for e’lyting for several days before a ride isn’t so much for actual supplementation of the electrolytes themselves, as it is for increasing plasma sodium levels a bit, which in turn stimulates the thirst response and encourages good water intake (as does forage intake, a good reason to stand them knee deep in hay the week before a ride).  Just a way to help increase hydration before trailering and before the ride so that hopefully they don’t start out with less than a full water tank.  But yes, they will pee out the excess.  There’s no need to use the fancy-shmancy endurance-formulated elytes before the ride, just some salt mixed into yogurt or applesauce will do fine for the purpose.  J

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM