[RC] The proper way to wear a helmet - Karen Lynd

I am glad the subject of helmets is being discussed.  When my gelding was green I crashed more than a few times, and one time I broke my helmet all the way down the back.  A rider who was quite a ways behind me told me they heard my head hit.  I didn't even have a headache, although I did hurt my lower back.  You won't find me riding without a helmet.

I am always happy to see riders wearing helmets.  However, I have noticed that many riders do not tightly adjust the chin strap on their helmets.  Instead, the strap is hanging several fingers and sometimes a hand width below their "throat latch".  While I am happy to see AERC using pictures of helmeted riders, it always distresses me when I see pictures of top riders with their chin straps loosely adjusted.  I think this sends a poor message.  I know when I've hit the dirt, I feel my helmet slide a little as I roll, even when it is adjusted snugly.  I now wear a Tipperary, so maybe it won't move as much, but I still adjust the chin strap snugly.  I fail to understand how a helmet will work when it is not strapped securely on the object it is supposed to be protecting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or a good article or study on helmet fit that I could reference?  Thanks!

Karen Lynd