Re: [RC] The proper way to wear a helmet - april

Troxels current fitting manual says that the chin strap should be no more than 1 or 2 fingers. The old fitting information that came with the helmets said that the chin strap should be tight enough that you could not remove the helmet without undoing the strap, but loose enough to not cause distraction to the rider. or something like that. Lots of us with looser straps are just following the instructions that came with the helmets. Gee, I hadn't read the fitting manual for ummm, almost 10 years. Changed a lot it has. :o)
----- Original Message -----
From: Karen Lynd
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 5:42 PM
Subject: [RC] The proper way to wear a helmet

I am glad the subject of helmets is being discussed.  When my gelding was green I crashed more than a few times, and one time I broke my helmet all the way down the back.  A rider who was quite a ways behind me told me they heard my head hit.  I didn't even have a headache, although I did hurt my lower back.  You won't find me riding without a helmet.

I am always happy to see riders wearing helmets.  However, I have noticed that many riders do not tightly adjust the chin strap on their helmets.  Instead, the strap is hanging several fingers and sometimes a hand width below their "throat latch".  While I am happy to see AERC using pictures of helmeted riders, it always distresses me when I see pictures of top riders with their chin straps loosely adjusted.  I think this sends a poor message.  I know when I've hit the dirt, I feel my helmet slide a little as I roll, even when it is adjusted snugly.  I now wear a Tipperary, so maybe it won't move as much, but I still adjust the chin strap snugly.  I fail to understand how a helmet will work when it is not strapped securely on the object it is supposed to be protecting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this or a good article or study on helmet fit that I could reference?  Thanks!

Karen Lynd