Re: [RC] [RC]FEI determination of abuse - Truman Prevatt

The best way to minimize mistakes of this sort is to make the sanctions for such mistakes sever enough that others in the future would be much more cognizance of the condition of their horse. Pulling up after a couple strides is the correct response although there might have been indications long before that the horse was in stress. However, going for a five foot jump is unconscionable. The book should have been thrown at her - instead of a wrist slap.

Chris Antley jumped off Charismatic in the Belmont several years ago when he broke down near the finish line and grabbed his broken front leg and held it till the vet could get there. Because of his effort the horse is alive and breeding in Japan.

There is no excuse for the actions of this woman - because of her the horse had to be put down. If she had stopped, he might not have. Throw the frigging book at her to send a message that if you want to ride on the edge, you better damn well be ready to pull back at a nanoseconds notice.

Truman

Julie Gelderman wrote:
OK, I rarely put my two cents worth in, but after reviewing the video of Amy Tryon many, many times this morning...and after watching the video of Barbaro's breakdown many, many times...I have to side with the "harsher" judgement of what I saw. There is no excuse for continuing to ride and then jumping a 5' jump. For the sake of argument, let's say the horse was just "tired". A horse that isn't even able to hold their gait is to the point on exhaustion and shouldn't be asked to continue. If Barbaro's jockey with all the adrenalin of the start of the race knew that something was immediately wrong and again immediately began to pull up, then even more so should Amy have known that something was horribly wrong with her horse and pulled up at stride number 5 or 6 rather than stride 48 or 49. Granted she had nothing to gain by finishing except pride.

I am disgusted and appalled that the "slap on the wrist" was just that, nothing more than a token of a sanction.

Julie Gelderman

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics