[RC] Rushcreek brands - Tx Trigger

Patty wrote: >>>Regardless of what kind of whip he is apparently holding, the mere fact that it doesn't bother them to burn the flesh in the shape of a clover so the horse will permanently bare their name, is enough reason for me to not want to one. I've never agreed with branding like that and never will. I don't believe we should cause that kind of pain to animals just to stroke our own egos. <<<

We have a Rushcreek gelding. The ranch branding their horses  has NOTHING to do with ego. In fact, the horses being a business had not been a priority until recently. The horses have always been bred for use on the ranch, not to raise them and sell them. They used to only sell when they rotated horses our of being used for the ranch work, or if one just did not work out as a "cow horse".

When we got a tour of the ranch, the yearlings and 2 year olds were all running loose in a large turn out. I'd ask "what about number XXX", and the manager would rattle off the name, sire, dam of the horse. If he could not remember, he had it in a little notebook in his pocket. The number and cloverleaf ID's THAT horse, from any other, and is an excellent method for a ranch that runs 100's of horses out in pasture. When you have a working ranch, with different cowboys using the horses, a quick ID method is very practical.  I'd also guess since they brand the cattle with the same hot brand, they just gather the latest group of young horses and use the same branding iron.

They name their horses each year starting with the same letter of the alphabet, and then the next year, the next letter in the alphabet. This also is helpful for those who know a year when any Rushcreek horse was born, and you are given the name, you can usually figure out how old the horse is.

Trust me, he did not suffer any ill effects of being branded.  ;-)  And glad you don't want one Patty. Leaves more for those of us who appreciate the quality horses they have produced over the years.

Jonni and Rushcreek Gambler, with his big cloverleaf and 467 on his hip.