[RC] How tree hugging hurts the environment- please enough - Milroy Grosse

Mike Sherrell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
A lot of archaeologists say that early North American humans exterminated a
bunch of big game species like the mammoths and giant sloths too. The older
I get the more misanthropic I become. How many species are we going to
eliminate with global warming?

Interesting, but I guess according to some theories, since early humans were not industrialized nor developed that would have been the natural course for these animals anyway.  Really, if you out weigh your opponent by at least 2,000 lbs and are dumb enough to get backed into a wall and stand there long enough to get pelted from above by rocks....chances are, something is gonna get you sooner or later. It's called Darwinism.....survival of the fittest, people prove this theory all the time by doing dumb things to get themselves killed and eliminate their genes from the pool.

Now, I am not talking about our current situation where irresponsible, non-caring humans have caused a big environmental problem.  I was referring to the comment about humans hunting Mammoths.

Look, the funny thing is that all of these posts are in agreement.  We all care about leaving a better planet for our kids or pets or reincarnated selves (just in case Shirley McClain is on RC today).

I think the bottom line here is that we are ALL guilty of mucking up the environment a little just by living.  Unless you live in a biosphere, and have sworn off cars, trailers, food from grocery stores or restaurants, riding horses, trucks, jobs etc etc etc.  But we ALL want to help the environment too so we try to be responsible about what we do.  Some of us can do more than others, we have more time, more money, more influence.  But just carpooling is SOMETHING.

Tree hugging doesn't hurt the environment but thinking that humans are not an important part of the environment is just, well, weird (sorry had to call that one). Hiding our forests so that no one can be educated by them is stupid.  Not admitting that humans, as part of nature, are not a selective pressure is unrealistic.  We are being selected ourselves, there are theories that cancer, heart disease, diabetes is a selective pressure right now.  Sure you might say that we created that problem too, (and you might be right) but the fact of the matter is that there are some people who survive and some who don't thus forcing humans as "natural" beings to change. That is nature at it's best.

We are animals of nature but the difference is, we are stewards of nature (to quote some one earlier).  We need to be responsible but remain part of nature not separate from it. "Nature" is a changing reality it is not a static state of being whose reference point is 5,000 years ago or whatever.  "Nature" by nature is a moving target thank God because I would hate to have what was "natural" in the Jurassic period running around today.....YIKES.

So where do we set the reference point at what "nature" should be?  400 years ago when buffalo ran free and humans were killing each other left and right?  No thanks.....

I think at least in this country things might be starting to improve.  There is a lot of awareness (as proved by this thread) a lot of caring and a lot of doing.  This problem didn't happen overnight and it sure won't go away overnight.  But as usual, we are only a small part of this global problem.

And does a bear really (you know) in the woods? And do they really use 2-ply Charmin because that is NOT very Eco-friendly?

Now go out and hug a tree (preferably NOT because your horse ran you into it).

Play Sims Stories at Yahoo! Games.