[RC] How tree hugging hurts the environment/trying to keep endurance focus - rides2far

BTW - if environmentalists are tree huggers, is there a term to
describe those on the other side of the debate?

To Angie Fura From Angie McGhee (trying to avoid confusion here)

Though this does not apply to you...since I know *you* spend time
outdoors, I have had a major problem with people who call themselves
"environmentalists" but very seldom set foot off concrete and fall for
word games like "Wilderness" designation; They cause a heck of a lot of
trouble for those of us who actually use and care about the outdoors.  I
used to call myself an environmentalist, and in the true sense of the
word...wanting to take care of the environment in the way I think is
best...I still am. But I do not use that word any more because it's been
taken over by many who have what I think is a dillusional concept of what
that stewardship entails.

We got a new teacher at our school and I was in charge of writing a
little bio of her for our bulletin board. She identified herself as
"vegetarian, environmentalist" (she looked more like something out of
Vogue). Geez. So, I just started asking her questions about was she for
Wilderness designation, how much did she know about who maintains the
trail system, how often she volunteered, the natural balance of predators
& prey etc. She was totally clueless. As endurance riders we need to do
what we can to educate people. They *may* go to a national park once a
year...probably in a SUV. Step out onto groomed walkways and convince
themselves they are environmentalists. Then they throw their support
behind some really radical people out there who would love to lock us all
out of the public lands.  Personally, I'm very thankful for hunters to
control the deer population so we don't have to reintroduce wolves,
cougars and grizzlies to do it. We aren't going to disappear (no matter
how bad some of these folks wish humans would) so the best we can do is
*stewardship*.  If the Nature Conservancy makes lands completely off
limits to humans, how long will humans appreciate nature?

There's an area near where I live where I have mentally laid out a
possible endurance course. However, the Nature Conservancy bought a small
strip of land along the Tennessee River and they let *nothing* go across
it....just ask the man who built a huge log home on his land just past it
and now cannot get electricity since they won't allow a right of way.
Groups like this to me are extreme and a threat to endurance trails.

I'm not automatically *for* anything like clearcutting, or stip mining
just because I am not a member of the Nature Conservancy or the Sierra
Club, I can care without agreeing with them.

Sooo, if we can't be "Environmentalist" how
does...."Environmental-realist" sound? :-)

Angie McGhee (Looking forward to the Southeastern Trails Symposium where
I'm sure I'll learn more)