Re: [RC] Help with administering electrolytes - Sharon Levasseur

Have you tried giving her plain applesauce, plain babyfood carrots, or plain
whatever-you-mix-elytes-with in her feed dish?  Then put the plain substance in
a syringe a few times and let her sniff it so she knows it's something she
likes, then dose her with it.  Continue to give her the plain stuff in the
syringe at random intervals so she never knows whether it will be salty or
plain.

I discovered over the weekend that Zephyr loves elytes mixed with applesauce but
HATES them mixed with yogurt.  I will use applesauce from now on!

Oh... I also discovered that in the days prior to the ride I can put Perform n'
Win powder directly into Zephyr's wet mash, and he's willing to eat it, but at
a ride I have to syringe him because he doesn't have time to finish the entire
mash.

-Sharon L. in Maine

Quoting Naomi Preston <mustanglady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

I have a mare that has now decided to not accept a syringe in the mouth for
electrolytes.  (Princess syndrome!)  Her teeth have been recently done,
mouth examined,  seems to be just a behavior issue.  I have been riding
without electrolytes successfully (much to my pleasant surprise) but now
that we're doing 100's I would like to be able to give some occasionally.
Anyone have any alternate ways of giving elytes, or training ideas that I
might use?  I do TEAM mouthwork on her and she loves it, but rears and gets
ugly when a syringe approaches.
Thanks!
Naomi