Re: [RC] Help with administering electrolytes - Lysane Cree

One trick I was given and have been using for my mare is to go back to the basics and start with just apple sauce in a syringe and use a word (like "applesauce" or whatever suits you) every time you give it. Once they realize it is applesauce, they are happy to take it.
I did this at the barn first, now I am bringing apple sauce with me on conditioning rides and giving her some in a syringe at stops along the way. This weekend I will start adding back in some electrolytes.
My mare was taking them fine at home and eats them all up when mixed in with her food, but I think what happened with me was that I assumed that because she took them fine at home on occasion (I don't electrolye much at home, it was more for practice) that she would be fine at rides. But she is more hyped at rides and she just wants to get going, never mind the e-lytes, so she has been acting up more and more when I try to give them during rides.
The lady who gave me this trick has many years of experience and she said that once they get used to getting the applesauce in the syringe you can electrolyte them during the ride no problem. And once in awhile you can give them applesauce by syringe just to keep it up.

Lysane

Naomi Preston <mustanglady@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have a mare that has now decided to not accept a syringe in the mouth for electrolytes.  (Princess syndrome!)  Her teeth have been recently done, mouth examined,  seems to be just a behavior issue.  I have been riding without electrolytes successfully (much to my pleasant surprise) but now that we're doing 100's I would like to be able to give some occasionally.  Anyone have any alternate ways of giving elytes, or training ideas that I might use?  I do TEAM mouthwork on her and she loves it, but rears and gets ugly when a syringe approaches.
Thanks!
Naomi