RE: [RC] Help with administering electrolytes - Katrina Mosshammer

HI Naomi,

I tried something different with my mare and she seems to like it. I broke up some carrots and dip them in my tub of electrolytes and get them really coated and she just loves them. I was trying to get something that I could giver her while on her back out on trail. At the last ride I thought I'd just just put the carrots and the elytes in a ziplock in my pack and just do a "shake and bake" thing when I needed them. Well the first loop was actually 2 loops so half way I just dosed her at the trailer. When I got in to the first vet check I pulled them out when I pulled my vet card out. Well, lets just say it didn't work according to plan. The only thing I had in that ziplock was carrots and elytes. When I pulled it out 17 miles later it was a sopping wet mess. There was at least a cup of water in the bag. My mare wouldn't even look at the shriveled up stubs that used to be carrots. LOL So next time I'll carry them in separate bags and just mix them as I need them. We'll see if that works. :-)

Katrina

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Naomi Preston
Sent: June 26, 2007 10:00 AM
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC] Help with administering electrolytes

I have a mare that has now decided to not accept a syringe in the mouth for electrolytes.  (Princess syndrome!)  Her teeth have been recently done, mouth examined,  seems to be just a behavior issue.  I have been riding without electrolytes successfully (much to my pleasant surprise) but now that we're doing 100's I would like to be able to give some occasionally.  Anyone have any alternate ways of giving elytes, or training ideas that I might use?  I do TEAM mouthwork on her and she loves it, but rears and gets ugly when a syringe approaches.
Thanks!
Naomi