Re: [RC] People and Horse Welfare Disagreement - rides2far

. If a rider is not smart enough to read their > horse
and slow down before trouble starts then they have earned whatever
stigma and emotional turmoil they feel.

Don,
In a perfect world the people who push their horses beyond what they
should have would be the ones getting treatment, and the riders who do
their absolute darndest to take care of their mounts would never need it.
Unfortunately, when I think of the horses I have seen treated quite a few
of them were experienced horses, ridden well within their usual limits by
riders who weren't even going for speed.

Last week my daughter's horse coliced at home while standing around in
front of fans eating what he always eats. Sometimes horses get sick while
trotting down the trail at the same pace they've done successfully many
other times. I definitely intend to "Judge not lest ye be judged" unless
I know *for a fact* that the person over rode their horse. The two horses
I have seen come closest to dying were ridden by two of the most
consciencious riders I know and neither I nor the vets could figure out
what went wrong, their guts just stopped moving and both of them spent a
lot of money saving the horse that they did *not* knowlingly over ride. I
wish I believed that only horses that were over ridden ever needed
treatment. It would take a lot of the fear of a financial blow like that
away for me. Unfortunately, seeing it happen to people who are probably
at least as careful as I am if not more so keeps me nervous.

Don't get me wrong, I have no use for people who over ride their horses
but it always seems like they have a deal with the devil and get away
with it.

Angie