[RC] Tevis Gremlins, Again? - sherman

Last year my daughter's mare got stuck with a nail in her hoof which
abcessed, then shortly after getting back into condition & ready for
Tevis, she ripped a chunk of bone out of the side of her face when she
made a bad exit from the trailer. Antibiotics & a hole that took a
couple months to close up kept her out of Tevis.

Now, after successfully completing 2 50 mile rides on Memorial day
weekend, yesterday she tied up after a 1 hour, 5 mile ride down into the
American River Canyon.  It happened so quickly, her muscles
were not hard yet when we realized she had a problem & stopped. We had
a friend bring down some banamine & waited 'til it took effect enough
for her to walk the 200 yards or so to the trailer.

The vet called this morning, CPK is over 120,000. The cause is unknown at this point, maybe selenium deficiency, if not,
most likely hormones. She only gets a minimal amount of oats in her
beet pulp/rice bran mash, and there were no other stressors that we're
aware of. I've never had a horse tie-up before, and I thought that
after they got their banamine & AC
E (stopped by the vet's office on
the way home for that & blood work) that they would be okay. Her
muscles are still hard and although she can walk, it's obviously
uncomfortable for her. My husband & I spent quite a while trying to
massage away the tightness & pain, but it didn't seem to help.

I think the Tevis gremlins have found us again, now we go to Plan B.
Kathy