From: Beth Leggieri <trailyaya@xxxxxxxxx>
To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [RC]   When a horse is marketed as "Sweepstakes eligible"
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 06:04:33 -0700 (PDT)

I see Arab endurance prospects listed as "Sweepstakes eligible" from time to time and wonder how much should that affect the horse's selling price.

In checking the rules on AHA site, one has to finish in the upper range (Top Ten or Top Five) -- correct? But I am very curious what the actual payout is for endurance horses. For show horses, it might help offset (ever so slightly!) the amount of dollars invested upfront (training, boarding, costs associated with showing, costume on top of the usual vet, shoeing, etc. fees). But for endurance horses, is this realistic? For the length of time required to bring a horse up to that level of competition and with the costs associated with the number of sanctioned rides necessary to produce a horse with that level of conditioning?

So the question is, why should "Sweepstakes eligibility" be a factor in buying an endurance prospect. It does not appear to make economic sense to allow that factor to affect the price--even for the FEI-level competitor (which I'm not-! I take the "To Finish is to Win" phrase to heart!).

Am also assuming that to date the vast majority of the Arab "Sweepstakes" horses are either showbred or racebred.

Beth in Texas

 in the all-new Yahoo! Mail Beta.