Re: [RC] [RC] Barbaro story on HBO - Maryanne Gabbani

I've had a couple of horses have surgery, which granted is a pretty rough and ready thing here. Watching the horse before my mare come to was pretty hairy. He was a big jumper and they had a bunch of grooms sitting on various parts of his anatomy. As he woke and would thrash out, grooms would go flying through the air. I decided that Dory didn't need that...she's only 14.2...tiny.  So when she was waking up I sat by her side and told her "no" every time she started to move until I was sure that she wasn't too groggy to move. Then I let her stand up on command. No grooms sitting on her and the vets were pretty amazed that you could just talk a horse out of anesthesia. But it worked. Mostly because we have almost 18 years of working together too.

Maryanne