Re: [RC] rude riders and rules - Susan

I can narrow the wording down.  I'm sure they'll try to get around it but they'll still have to leave.  What then?  Go ahead and protest...but you're gone.

When the rider keeps on arguing after RM has said "NO", then it's harassment which is abuse.  RM can't walk away and if the rider won't and keeps harassing the manager, that's abuse.  Cursing is abuse.  Excessive arguing is abuse...and disrespectful.  (I agree with your grandma.)  Disrespect doesn't have to be tolerated either.

The rider was abusive to RM at Sunflower (canceled due to ice and dangerous conditions) because the RM said she couldn't have the ride the next day...period.  But, instead of being mature about it, the rider threatened to protest then proceeded to call directors to get an emergency re-sanction the next day!  Knowing the rules helps in addition to maturity.

Running riders off the trail is abuse.  Making sure everyone is alright is a common courtesy that isn't common with this rider.  The danger came in when she "yee hawed" away before everyone got their spooked horses back under control.  She ran a junior rider off the trail in the wide open.  Management spoke to her and she straightened up but gave me dirty looks the rest of the day.  Then she lambasted the ride vet.  I think she ought to have been DQd right then; the rules support that.

There are other examples but you get the drift.  As has been pointed out, you can't hold past conduct over someone's head.  What I'm saying is that RM and riders can stand up to rude riders (in this case we KNOW how they can misbehave and should be prepared) and make misbehavior very uncomfortable for them.

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The problem is how will a vague rule such as this stand up to a protest.
Abuse is a very broad term - my grandmother though not opening the car
door for a woman was abusive - and different people have different
levels of what they consider abuse. If you made it specific enough to
remove the vagueness - the rule would probably abusive ;-) .

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, The Princess of Pink
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)