Re: [RC] rude riders and rules - Truman Prevatt

The problem is how will a vague rule such as this stand up to a protest. Abuse is a very broad term - my grandmother though not opening the car door for a woman was abusive - and different people have different levels of what they consider abuse. If you made it specific enough to remove the vagueness - the rule would probably abusive ;-) .

People should be nice to their fellow person. However, there is a large gray area between this and what could be required in well defined rules.

Truman

Susan wrote:

Seems to me a RM could put some of this wording in their ride flier. If a rider became abusive then RM could DQ him/her.
Another thought is for RIDERS to apply peer pressure liberly to rude riders. At a ride last Nov. when I was run into a barbed wire fence on an out-and-back trail, I was appauled at the 2 riders' lack of concern. They "YEE HAW" away without so much as an "Are you alright?" They proceeded to run a junior rider off the trail later. I told RM about it and that something had better be said because I was not going to tolerate that behavior the rest of the day. RM talked to the offenders and I got glares the rest of the day...as they moved off trail for me. I was happy and will continue to speak out. In my area (OCER) we're an endurance family. We'll stick together like glue. If RM and riders will back each other up, any misconduct will be taken care of without needing more rules or even more hard feelings.

*//*