RE: [RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses) - David LeBlanc

Mary Ann Spencer said:

Might be easier to get those on here to sort of give a brief input about
their wt division and wt of horse and how many pulls under what conditions.

That's a self-selected sample, which is the worst thing you can do in a
study. The only thing that can possibly make it less valid is to have
insufficient data. For example, I'm probably an outlier - I'm a heavyweight
rider with few pulls, and very few lameness pulls in over 2000 miles, and
the record doesn't tell the whole story, and I've tended to have more
problems with smaller horses than my 15.2+ horse. I think it's explained by
the fact I tend to take my time and have a good horse. My personal
experience doesn't establish a trend, though.

Seems to me there are so DARN many variable that this is a difficult
thing
to prove one way or the other. IE  how much conditioning of horse AND rider,

conditions on the trail, weather during the ride, age of either horse or
rider, previous injuries to horse or rider, etc

Exactly - the only thing you can do is try and increase the sample size, and
the variety of samples, and hope it comes out in the wash. Even so, say you
collected data from a bunch of riders at 20-30 rides, and found a
correlation, a follow-up could find that the conditioning level of the HW
rider's horses differed from the conditioning level of the lighter riders.

The key is that just about everything you mention has some explanatory value
- the real question is just how much value.

I also don't agree with Susan's assertion that the 100 mile distance adds
any validity to the findings. It's common on 100 miles rides for fatigue to
show up as lameness. That ride also has a very high pull rate. I don't
believe you can safely extrapolate those findings to either different 100
mile rides or different distances without additional data. I'd expect there
to be a correlation between horse size and lameness due to the obvious
mechanical issues (as Heidi pointed out), and for there to be a correlation
between rider size and pull rate (though it could be mitigated by slower
speeds), but the finding that the heavier you are, the smaller the horse you
should have is clearly counter-intuitive.

We'd have a bad time finding a sample, but you clearly wouldn't expect to
find that a 300# rider on a 900# horse would have a similar pull rate to a
100# rider on a 1100# horse.