Re: [RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses) - Mary Ann Spencer

Might be easier to get those on here to sort of give a brief input about their wt division and wt of horse and how many pulls under what conditions.

Seems to me there are so DARN many variable that this is a difficult thing to prove one way or the other. IE how much conditioning of horse AND rider, conditions on the trail, weather during the ride, age of either horse or rider, previous injuries to horse or rider, etc

----- Original Message ----- From: "David LeBlanc" <dleblanc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "'Sisu West Ranch'" <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx>; <heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 14, 2007 7:33 PM
Subject: RE: [RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses)

Ed said:

I will absolutely agree that heavy weight riders have more trouble with
horses going lame.  This, not getting the cardiovascular conditioning
absolutely right (think Tom Ivers' teachings), is my personal speed limit.
It is also the reason that I perfer to ride on technical, hilly rides.  This
slows everyone down and negates a portion of the advantage of Feather
Weights.
----------------------------

Let's look at the sample for the study - it was 100 mile horses competing at
Tevis, which is point to point and mostly downhill. That could have a lot to
do with the results. The findings may not hold very well for return to camp
rides, or shorter rides. What also skews the results is that a tired horse
often gets pulled lame, and isn't lame once rested.

I'd bet that lameness is much more strongly a function of going too fast for
conditions, where "too fast" is indeed a function of weight. Maybe we could
get Mike Maul or Truman to do a quick and dirty 'study' and look at
incidence of lameness pull by distance and weight division for a year or two
- let's see what a big data set has to say with lots of different rides
factored in. Seems like those hot shoes first or bust riders don't tend to
be very large, or have great completion rates, either.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a correlation - greater stress on
everything for the heavier riders - but you can't prove it very well with
one highly skewed sample.