[RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses) - sherman

This reminds me of the first time my 13 yr old looked at the map. He felt it was an easy ride and didn’t see why horses had such a hard time with it because (in his words) “it’s all downhill from Truckee to Auburn”. Tevis is absolutely NOT a downhill ride, ask anyone who has ridden some or all of the trail. Very rough estimate, Tevis trail has 17,000’ of elevation gain, and 21,970’ of descent. Some of the climbs are only a few miles in distance, and have about 2000’ elevation gain. I wouldn’t call that mostly downhill, just more down than up.

Kathy

David wrote:
Let's look at the sample for the study - it was 100 mile horses competing at
Tevis, which is point to point and mostly downhill.