Re: [RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses) - Sisu West Ranch

I will absolutely agree that heavy weight riders have more trouble with horses going lame.  This, not getting the cardiovascular conditioning absolutely right (think Tom Ivers' teachings), is my personal speed limit.  It is also the reason that I perfer to ride on technical, hilly rides.  This slows everyone down and negates a portion of the advantage of Feather Weights.

I can also see, because of scaling factors, why a heavy horse (think stock type QH or draft type) will have more lameness issues than a lighter (think Arabian) horse.

The part I have trouble with is the implication that since Scab is below 14 hands, and weighs perhaps 700 lbs (I haven't put a weight tape on her so I am guessing) I would be better riding her than in riding Ranger or Stevie who weigh over 1000 lbs thus making our ride weights over the magic 1200 lbs.

I guess my bottom line is that heavyweights have lameness issues, but I am not convinced that the solution is for heavyweights to select horses that get them below some magic combined weight figure.   The only endurance horse I have ever ridden who would have kept the combined weight below the magic figure is Al.  He had good conformation, but relatively light bone.  He developed some cronic lameness issues, and is now leading a happy life as a mountain pleasure horse in WY.  The result of this experience is that I look at conformation and bone as a better predictor than combined weight.

By the way, I do not hold that the effect does not exist.  I am just a bit skeptical.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875