Re: [RC] Percentage body weight (was: Dainty horses) - Sisu West Ranch

Perhaps I can make my, personal and unscientific, feelings more clear by posting my personal selection/breeding criteria for endurance horses for a heavy weight rider.  (I would be a heavy weight even if I got down to the exact weight that would make my doctor jump for joy.)

1. Excellent conformation.  Everyone strives for this, it is even more important as your weight goes up.
2. Bone.  Always desirable.
3. A bit of size to keep the percentage of weight down.  But not by selecting an unusual size for the breed or breeding.  For example, I do not ride 15 3 Arabians, they would be unusually tall and big for an Arabian horse.  I have settled on half Arabians where one parent, is an Arab (usually the dam) and the other is a Saddlebred.  This cross seems to give me a bit more bone, a bit more size, and perhaps some vigor associated with an outcross.  Please note that while the cross seems to be relatively predictable, I do not consider those who have been bred on from the initial cross.  I think that as the genes re-assort themselves, you would loose some of the predictability.  Miikka, this years Gelding prospect, will be the proof in 5 years or so.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875