Re: [AERCMembersForum] RE: [RC] completion rule -- another consideration - Joe Long

heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes, Joe, I have read your posts, and for you to infer that I have not is rude and offensive. I simply disagree with it, through and through.

Well, I didn't appreciate your mischaracterizing what I wrote, then attacking your characterization as if it was mine.

I do think that there is merit in some of the possible alterations to the 30-minute proposal that are being discussed that address some of the concerns about distant finish lines, etc., but the bottom line is that a horse that cannot recover to the ride's pulse criterion (which he has met all day) is not fit to continue. You contradict yourself when you suggest otherwise.

Under our current system a horse must recover to the set pulse level to pass his post-finish vet exam and complete the ride. That is part of being fit to continue. Here again, I never suggested that a horse whose pulse does not recover is fit to continue. Please read what I write, and respond to that.

That said, the alternate approach of assuring that horses pulse down within 30 minutes but that riders still have an hour to present for the full exam is quite workable. Rides with distant finishes for safety's sake could simply have a pulse person at the finish line, if it is a REALLY long way to camp, or better yet, right when riders enter camp, so that they can present for pulses and then go about whatever they want to do before they present their horses.

Again, my suggestion here was a SAFETY CHECK at 30 minutes, to catch developing problems early, that would have no impact on completion. The rider still has the full hour to present his horse to the vet, fit to continue. If the pulse was not yet down at 30 minutes, that doesn't matter as long as it is down when he presents his horse.

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter if a horse is SLOW to recover at the finish, as long as he DOES recover and is fit to continue at the final vet exam.

--
Joe Long
jlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx