[RC] The latest scores..... - Bruce Weary

I just got back from my city league basketball game, and we lost by two points. One of my guys started a fight , and got a split lip and a couple of minutes of unconcsiousness. I did what any other 6'4" 200 lb guy would do. It's not easy running and screaming like a girl out of the building with my arms flailing. I'm a rider, not a fighter.
So, for the latest scores................drum roll..............
1's: 73 2's: 1 3's: 2 4's: 1
Now, I should tell you that the 1's probably are significantly higher, because many of you wrote me that "all of the horses I've ever ridden have been 1's." But I only counted each person as one, unless they specified exactly how many horses they have campaigned. This is all very unscientific, but I think we are more interested in how many horses pulsed down, not how many riders.
So, what do we do with this information? Maybe we could ask other questions, like "How many riders have ever pulsed down in the proper time frame, but their horse required treatment after the ride, either at the ride site or at home afterward?" OR "How many riders have ever taken 45-60 minutes to recover, but the horse suffered no discernible consequences?" OR "Who has top tenned, passed the vet check, but needed post ride treatment?" Stuff like that.
In the olden days, when Joe was on the Board, and Calvin Coolidge was in office, they didn't have this technology to poll people so quickly. I can't always be the one to do the tabulating, but we could rotate the responsibility, and, if certain precautions are taken to ensure a reasonable validity of the scores on any given issue, the numbers might, on occasion, be presented to our directors to indicate how a slice of our membership feels about that issue. Instead of RC only serving as a place to debate, maybe it could provide insightful political influence as we try to help our sport evolve safely, effectively, and with fun for all. Mr. Teeter, if you're listening, how many AERC members would you say are tuned in at any given time? Thoughts, anyone? Dr Q
PS. JT and Steph, if you're going to Wickenburg, let's say dinner at the motorhome around sixish? You bring the wine. I liked what you brought last time. The kind with the screw off cap. That was good.