[RC] Completion Rule - Another Consideration - Alissa Norman

Joe Said:

Now, look at the finish. The predictive value of the recovery time no longer applies. The horse is not going to be subjected to additional stress. It doesn't matter one whit if there is increased RISK that the horse would get into trouble if stressed further, as he is not going to BE stressed further. All that matters is if the horse is unharmed and fit to continue at that point -- so it doesn't matter if that determination is made within 30 minutes after finishing, or within one hour after finishing.

I say:

Does shipping your horse home right after a ride not count as stress?  Wonder if we have any numbers on how many horses are fit to continue at the end of a ride, and then encounter metabolic distress on the way home, and have to be treated?

Also, someone asked the question yesterday about what ride managers and vets think.  As a ride manager, it doesn't matter one whit to me when pulses are required to be taken after finish.  But, in the Northeast we typically use the same system as in the SE - we go directly from finish line to crew area to pulse box, and straight on in to the vet.  No lollygagging!  : )  Think that's a cultural thing, just in general?

Alissa