RE: [RC] [RC] re: Barbaro - Juli Jakub

Being non endurance related this is the last I am going to say...I know some of the people involved through my years on the track and they are wonderful horseman and wonderful people. ( there are many, many people on the track I would not say that about! ) I know New Bolton center...the vets there are amazing and I am sure kept a good eye on Barbaro's attitude and pain level and chance of recovery. He will have arthritis for the rest of his life...so do many other horses that are still being competed in endurance, jumpers, ect. There are things that can help ( and not just Bute)..should we put down every horse with aches and pains? I have a 15 year old mare with some arthritis from an injury in her fetlock...should I put her down? She has good days and bad days...more good than bad. She still loves to event low level although she no longer would be able to do high level stuff. She loves to hang with her buddies in the pasture. Barbaro is a horse. I think he will be happy living out the rest of his days on a pasture. No one knows what sort of recovery he will make and there is no reason not to think that he might someday carry a lightweight rider on a ride around the farm. Will he race or be a jumper or a cutting horse...of course not... but he may be able to take a stroll under saddle. Or maybe he will just be handwalked..nothing wrong with that. As for stud...he probably will not be able to live breed...so no stud fees...ALthough I have never met the owners I do believe that they are doing this out of an attachment to the horse and it is THEIR decision. Every picture I have seen ( and there are tons out there) including ones of him in a sling and in his stall show him perky and interested...this to me means he has enough good days that the people involved think he still wants to fight for it. I would never want to put an animal down that still has that will to live. No one has all the answers...I may not want to be the animal of someone who lets me suffer too long...but I also would not want to be the horse of someone who would put me down right away even if I was showing the will to live and fight. Many horses have come back and led good lives from terrible injuries...why not Barbaro? It is easy to judge people we do not know or situations where we do not have all the facts, but that does not make us right. I admit I could be wrong, but Dr. Richardson is a wonderful man and I choose to put my trust in the decisions of the professionals caring for him and the people who know him, love him, and see him in person. I am rooting for him even if it means living his life out on a farm with visitors, carrots, and lots of grass!
JMO
Juli

<P>Juli Jakub</P>
<P>The Air of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.</P>
<P>~ arabian proverb</P></DIV></html>

Get FREE Web site and company branded e-mail from Microsoft Office Live http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/mcrssaub0050001411mrt/direct/01/