RE: [RC] 30 minutes - not workable for many rides. - Nancy Mitts

Heidi, I understand that. It's not a unique situation for mileage to really end in camp when the "finish line" is out of camp for safety reasons. I am just pointing out that IMO it circumvents any relevance of the proposed new rule saying the horse has to pass a completion exam within 30 minutes after a race. Add 15 minutes to walk in and most horses vet though in that 45 minute window anyway. It sure would alleviate the concerns of RM's that were thinking the proposal actually meant 30 minutes and they would have to move a vet exam out to the race line or the race line into camp. So perhaps the discussion should involve standardizing just where that time should start from. Because I'm not sure that most rides add that extra time to get to camp to the rider's time, they just use the finish line time. (At least for the top ten, but that's a whole nuther issue.)
Nancy Mitts

From: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Nancy, the "finish" of the ride doesn't occur until the horses
reach camp.? All we did was stop the racing in a safe place, and
average the time it would take them to walk in, so that their ride
times reflected the time it actually took them to complete the trail,
not just to get to the point where the racing stopped for the sake of
safety.
?
Heidi

Subject: RE: [RC]
From: "Nancy
Mitts" <mitts_n@xxxxxxxxxxx>

But isn't the 30 minute
proposal for purpose of preventing horses from being
raced to the
finish harder then they are fit for? But, if the race finish is
out
of camp and the RM ?adds 10 minutes or whatever it takes to walk to

camp, then thay really have 40 minutes or more to walk in to the
vet, not
30.

The MSN Entertainment Guide to Golden Globes is here. Get all the scoop. http://tv.msn.com/tv/globes2007/?icid=nctagline2