[RC] 30-min rule - andreab

I have found this thread very interesting indeed.  In South Africa the
endurance rules are
slightly different.  As is the case in most countries we run 2 systems, the FEI
system for
FEI rides and a local system for general rides.  The local system works as
follows:  when
crossing the line at the end of a leg your time is stopped and you present
20min later to
the vet.  Presenting your horse before 20min does not benefit your riding time,
is however
good training for FEI rides.  After leg 1 your pulse must be 56 or below, leg 2
pulse 60
or below and leg 3 pulse 64 and below (50 mile rides).  Our front runners ride
at
significant speeds, the winning pace normally around at least 15/6mph.  Final
legs are
normally run even faster if horses are still feeling good.  Walking in for the
last mile
is never done in this system as your time stops as soon as you cross the line
and 20min is
considered more than enough time to pulse down to 64 even after an 20mph leg.

I understand that the 60min rule can be seen as a safety measure, a check to
see whether a
horse is not crashing after the ride.  We combat this with a 2 hour rule.
According to
our rules your ride is not completed until 2 hours have passed after you
crossed the
finish line.  You are not allowed to leave the premises before that period has
passed.  If
your horse is treated in that time, you are eliminated.  Before leaving, even 5
hours
later, a vet has to see your horse again and give you permission to leave.
Every horse is
therefore examined twice after completing a ride, first 20min after completing
and then at
the earliest 2hours after completing.  We have found this a great discipline to
get riders
to stick around longer after the ride and to actually stay for awards.  It has
also helped
in the prevention of horses being trucked immediately after a ride and crashing
because of
the extra stress of trucking.

Lastly, Amber, I can't agree more.  Any breed with the correct body type for
endurance can
do the job.  Correct conditioning can prepare just about any breed for the
job.