Re: [RC] [RC] A Much Better Proposal - Truman Prevatt

The issue gets right down to one simple fact - the AERC will not enforce the rules they have in place. They have all they need right now but when is the last time the AERC filed a protest against a rider. The exec director can do that - when has it happened. They hide behind the "system of self policing." Sorry it doesn't work.

I had hoped the HWC would be much more proactive - but it hasn't happened. Like most of the BOD and committees - they are good people but they can't bring themselves tog row some fangs and get the job done and end up paying lip service. It takes set of balls to address the issue of abusive riders. What does the HWC do - try to push through a bone headed rule changing one hour to 30 minutes at the end. Will this catch a single abuser - hell no. Will it impact rides - hell yes. It is a total cop out. For my money the HWC has not worked. Maybe time to try something else. I had great hopes for it - but the baby turned ugly. I don't know why - nor do I care - it is time to rethink the whole issue.

The bottom line the AERC will not enforce their own rules. Until they step up to the plate and do that - not much will change.

Truman

Nancy Mitts wrote:
The incentive would be to "prove" their horse was just fine after all, and the AERC rule was hogwash. Nobody thinks 'they' are the abusive ones, it's just people picking on them.
Trust me, I've spent the last 2 years hanging around camp/vet checks, I can hear it now. And, although most of us will not admit it, there is sometimes truth in that. People who are not well liked, or who do things "differently" are judged more harshly by the peanut gallery when something goes wrong. (Vets are usually pretty fair, which can also cause quite a rumble from the peanut gallery.)
There is also the issue that some vets really are stricter than others, and a lot of vets get sick of hearing riders whine. You'll end up having riders being "set down" who have had rather minor problems. Others will be let go or allowed a RO just because the vet or RM was intimidated or doesn't believe in the punishment.
Nancy Mitts

--

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.” Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil