RE: [RC] RC RC:Thanks Leonard - heidi

Obviously I have no experience in Malaysia, either, but to add to what Leonard has said here...

One of our winningest riders here who normally uses zero electrolytes has a "hot and humid" formula that works for her--and like Leonard's suggestion, it is not high in raw electrolytes.  She does a mixture of about 25% e-lytes and 75% yogurt, and then gives something like 2-3 ounces of that mixture ONCE at the beginning of the ride, and then no more.

One of the very serious repercussions with overuse of electrolytes is that critters (not just horses, but humans, etc.) will "third-space" fluids--in other words, begin to pull fluid back into the gut to bring the concentration of the e-lytes there back to normal when they can't transport the e-lytes across the gut wall fast enough or when the concentration is already high in the fluids in the bloodstream and the cells due to dehydration.  This even more rapidly dehydrates the critter.  I keep thinking about Bev Gray's horse in Dubai having seizures on the overly aggressive e-lyte doses that were more or less forced on the horses by the leadership of the squad that year...

Heidi

With El, I just don't know what would be the best in Malaysia. Just guessing and giving an answer would be ridiculous. You guys there should try to launch some tests.

Example : weighting horses before and after events (80 or 120K)
trying a few without EL and the others with El (but please calculate the total amount administered otherwise simply saying that you give EL make no sense if the horse receives just lets say 3 doses of P&W for the whole race).
trying isotonic EL (in the drinking water)
callculating the quantity drank by the horse (not that difficult, counting the number of movments of the (sorry forgot the english name), but you understand what I mean.

I can just tell that our horse at the Terengganu rides didn't receive very much of EL, not the huge amounts that I sometimes see administered in the US. They got the Foran Refuel that I think (I have to check) is very low in terms of raw EL.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=