Re: [RC] Biting horse - Sisu West Ranch

I have had two horses who tried to bite me one time each.  Unfortunately for them, I had a hoof rasp in my hand at the time.  Reflexively I hit them on the nose with the rasp.  They jumped, and ran.  The closest they ever got to trying it again was a pinned ear and turned head.

Please note:
1. I do not tie or cross tie horses when working on them.
2. I work on them in a corral.  Large enough for them to get away, small enough to easily catch them again.

I guess my bottom line is that biting a human is aggressive behavior and must not be tolerated.  The offending equine must have an immediate, unpleasant, and emotional experience.  The punishment must start immediately with the offense, and be over in 3 seconds or less.  The subject horse apparently has developed a habit pattern, so it will be harder to break.

Warning: Your mileage may vary.  Professional driver, closed course.  Do not try this at home.  Keep your powder dry.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875