[RC] Biting horse - Katherine Hogg

Hey guys,

I'm new to ridecamp but I'm loving the discussions on here. They are very enlightning. I was wondering if anyone could help me, I have a big thoroughbred gelding called Red and he has always had a problem with his girth (i think you call it a cinch?) being done up. Everytime he feels it tightening he tries to bite. When i first got him he used to be really vicious about it but he has progressed lots and only tries to nip now and then (thats on a good day) but recently he's being trying to bite me just while im brushing him. He usually does it when I brush his back and stomach, and when i feel him just about to do it I turn and he swings his head away like nothing happened. Sometimes he gets me, buts its never hard enough to hurt it just gives me a fright. Can you suggest ways to get him to stop, I usually growl at him and sometimes i'll slap him on the neck but its really not that effective. I would really appreciate it.

Katie from New Zealand :)