[RC] unhandled 1 year old - sherman

When I got an 8 yr old mustang she was sort of like your filly. She would let kids touch her and her old owners (who gave her up when they were moving out of state) but I had to figure out a way to get her to trust me before I could get near her. I read about & decided to try round pen work (my neighbor had a nice one), and it was amazing at how quickly she began to trust me and most other humans as well. I know I probably didn’t do it exactly right, but the mare didn’t know that and she responded as though I was an expert (:>)…well, sort of. I did have to leave her in it for about a week since I didn’t know if I’d be able to catch her again if she was put out to pasture between sessions. Once I began the work, I was riding her within the week. She never bucked or gave any trouble… until several months later when she decided that rearing was a good way to let me know that she didn’t want to go someplace. We did get that worked out eventually as well.

Kathy

Can anyone give some advice on what the best approach is to begin handling a completely untouched 1 year old mare?

She is a rescue paso fino/appaloosa cross.  Followed Mom onto the trailer but does not let humans touch her.  Common sense dictates patience but thats about all I can figure out.

Good things are she is curious and likes grain and has eaten out of my hand already.  The yearlings Mom is also on the property and is as gentle and sweet as can be, been ridden and handled plenty but is almost skin and bone.  Is it possible the baby will warm up to humans by seeing Mom has no problem with them?

I don't want to just keep feeding her grain to get anywhere near her but I don't want to try to get a halter on her by locking her in a stall.