RE: [RC] unhandled 1 year old - Smith, Dave

Sherman:  All of the major clinicians, i.e., Parelli, Anderson, Lyons, etc., have either DVDs or written material on starting horses.  All involve round-pen or ground work and initially focus on establishing a relationship with the horse.  For example, you could take a book and a lawn chair and sit in your filly’s stable space.  Avoid eye contact. At first, she’ll pretend to ignore you, but eventually, her curiosity will get the best of her.  Allow her to approach you and explore you and your scent. Young horses are at the most curious stage of a horse’s life at this time.  Let her touch you first.  Gradually “become aware”  of her and start touching her, using the back of your hand.  Move slowly at this stage, but don’t try to sneak up on her.  If she shies, back off until you discover her comfort zone.  Often you will be allowed to touch one part of her, but not another.  Use approach and retreat – retreating to her comfort zone --  until you can touch her all over.  If she is reactive and potentially dangerous, you might make those first touches with a bamboo pole. Use the pole to explore her favorite spots.  The withers are usually one of them.  Perhaps under the chin or throat area.  You are going to have to dedicate time with her, whatever approach – or more likely, approaches – you take. Dedicate a full day, if needed.  Or perhaps several days, to get that first touch.  Don’t worry, once she allows you to touch her it is just a matter of time before she will allow you to halter her.  Once she can be haltered, you can play Pirelli’s “seven games.”  You can purchase his “Level One” DVD course.  It’s a bit pricey, but in my view, it is money well spent.  Anderson, and the others also have colt starting DVD  programs.  You won’t be able to ride her for a couple years, yet, so now is the time to develop really solid ground handling skills. You will be well rewarded when you finally are able to ride her.   Also, look into clicker training.  Again, lots of available material.  Good luck. Starting your filly will be a lot of fun, and is going to educate you as much as you educate her. --Dave

Can anyone give some advice on what the best approach is to begin handling a completely untouched 1 year old mare?

She is a rescue paso fino/appaloosa cross.  Followed Mom onto the trailer but does not let humans touch her.  Common sense dictates patience but thats about all I can figure out.

Good things are she is curious and likes grain and has eaten out of my hand already.  The yearlings Mom is also on the property and is as gentle and sweet as can be, been ridden and handled plenty but is almost skin and bone.  Is it possible the baby will warm up to humans by seeing Mom has no problem with them?

I don't want to just keep feeding her grain to get anywhere near her but I don't want to try to get a halter on her by locking her in a stall.