RE: [RC] trial period for sale of horse and Black Hills ride - Marlene Moss

Well, she definitely isn’t conditioned for a 50, but with where she lives and how she takes care of herself, I know I could do a slow 30 on her.  Our guys are on a hilly pasture that they move up and down all day (hay on top, water at the bottom, pasture greening up along the bottom).  I know she can handle the distance but I know she won’t do it at her “conditioned” speed which is 8-12mph, it’ll be more like 6mph.  This horse is rather amazing (which can be annoying to some riders as her speed isn’t consistent), but she makes good decisions for her.  From that point of view, I’m not worried about the horse at all.  More worried that the rider will not appreciate the horse making some decisions for her!  But the horse won’t go anywhere w/o a long dissertation about everything I know about her.

I have spoken at length with her sponsor and it sounds like the group will be going slow and possibly be quite happy with this mare keeping things sane.  I do know and respect one of the riders that this girl will be riding with – she’s seen the horse before and gave me advice that got me on track for this horse’s first successful multidays.

I have been very pleased with the advice about a contract that I’ve gotten so far.  I’m definitely re-thinking how this might be handled so have some good ideas for this part of the discussion.  The girl will be coming to test ride this weekend, so we can all read over all this great advice and figure out a plan that is good for people and most importantly the horse.  My main goal is that the horse be in a situation I like for her future since selling her isn’t really my first plan, she’s just not as happy being a pasture ornament and my life is really weird right now.

Thanks!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Saddle Fitting - www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com