[RC] trial period for sale of horse and Black Hills ride - sherman

When I had a horse on trail period, I signed a contract that I was responsible for the entire value (the asking price, not a lower price that I may have wanted to offer) of the horse if the horse have to be destroyed while in my care, or pay for any and all medical and follow-up expenses due to any and all injuries received while in my care. It was a greenbroke horse that I also agreed not to ride, just handle & get to know. I’m pretty sure there was a clause that I’d be fully liable if the horse’s value was diminished in any way. I did pay a 50% deposit as well.

I personally know of two separate situations, wo different horses, same junior, both time 1st time sponsors, where the sponsor went much faster than was agreed upon by the owner of the horse the junior was riding, one time resulting in a torn ligament, costly diagnosis, and lengthy & tedious rehab. The other time it just made the junior feel like she was putting the horse at risk, as she knew the horse & felt it was being pushed too hard. Not something I’d want to subject my horse to.

I’d sure want them to do a prepurchase exam first, and I’d want to be the sponsor for the ride! JMHO.

Kathy