[RC] OT-courdoroy hills-geology answer - Dawn Simas

In college, in Geology class, we learned why those hills (the ones off I-80) specifically do that.  It is due to what's under the ground. The hills are pushed up there because of techtonic plate action on the earth's crust. The Pacific Plate is decending and grinding against the American Plate. Think of when you scrape a knife with peanut butter on the edge of your toast. Therefore, those hills are actually sedimentary with layers from when they were flat (thousands of years ago), but then pushed up at an angle to form hills. With me so far? Then, because of the high humidity, they get saturated and slip in that way that look like layers. My teacher described them as "chocolate cake hills" because he used this analogy. You make a layer cake and put too much frosting, then jiggle it (seismic activity) and it slips into a layer of steps on the side... Get it? The cows just use the steps because they are easy to walk on. :)

Ms. Dawn Simas
Director - Wild About Cats
Wild Feline Conservation, Education, and Rescue