[RC] Clippers - Sharon Hahn

My mare doesn't finish shedding until about June, so a few years ago, I started doing a "gullet clip" on her around Easter.  I clip the bottom of her head (i.e., bottom of muzzle, throatlatch), then a strip about 8" wide down her neck, her whole chest, and the bottom of her belly.  Basically everything that's in the shade when the horse is standing in the sun - an abbreviated trace clip.  Makes a huge difference in her ability to stay cool when working, but hardly affects her ability to stay warm when standing out in the pasture in the rain, because she still has her warm coat on top.

I use the Wahl Stable Pro with the 10 blade, against the hair. Works OK for doing one or two horses once a year but I'd probably get a more powerful clipper if I were clipping more horses or more often.  I've also used this clipper to deburr llamas.  You do have to stop once in a while to oil and make sure the clippers aren't getting too hot.