Re: [RC] ot- adopting Morgan the new dog, long and unhappy - april

    Other than that I am great and they would love to give us Morgan. The vet who pulled my cogins and that I get adequin shots for the allergic one, does not do dogs or cats. The places who do dogs and cats have "new patient" requirements. Since I don't have a record from a vets office proving they are up to date on shots, they have to have everything the vets office recommends to the tune of almost $200.00 a dog / cat for the first visit and will have to have the whole series, as in follow up visits with shots like my 14yr old dog was a puppy starting out,  before they will certify that the dogs are "up to date."  And I have to have heart worm tests and prescriptions for heart guard for the dogs and the cats too.
    My retired vet in IL doesn't count. I'm looking at around $1200 to be allowed to adopt a dog from a kill shelter. Sigh.......... I have some phone calls in to my 4-H kids about finding and old fashioned vet who will be willing to work with me instead of one of the "animal hospitals" with new buildings and the newest diagnostic equipment, etc.
    Sorry about the rant. I am frustrated. I do my own stuff unless its serious. If it were an emergency, I would take my dog to one of the fancy places. I have actually paid for an office call at several of them, just to go in and meet the vet, who hardly gives me the time of day because you know, time is money and I have no animal with me and there are patients waiting in the waiting room. I have yet to find one locally who hasn't given me the bums rush even though I paid for an office visit to meet them. I do need a vet for emergencies and I think its better for an animal to meet the vet on a friendly basis so they
know them before there is an emergency. Its not worth exposing the dog to whatever is in the waiting room so I go meet the vets. When I find one I like, I will pay for an office visit or farm call, just so the vet can meet the animals and they can meet the vet before anything needs done. There are a lot of vets on the edge of the city where I live. I haven't chosen a vet for the dogs yet. Still looking for someone who will take 10 minutes to answer a few questions.
    The last time I had a sick dog or cat was 2000. I take good care of them. Unless somebody does something stupid like tornado dog losing her mind over the storm and going head first though a plate glass window (my last vet call) I'm good. I called the "official vet with an office" (she is 2 yrs younger than me and followed the same now retired gentleman around) on Saturday night and she left her dinner  to meet me at the office and put 19 stitches in my dogs throat. THEN I got the window fixed and dealt with the damage the storm caused in my living room. So 2000 was the last official time my dogs were seen by a vet that I can prove. She took the stitches out at my house over pizza while our kids played together so there is not even a follow up visit in the office records.
     Retired vets who check your dogs out when they come over to go riding with you do not count !!!! My friend the vet who checked my dogs while our kids were playing together, doesn't count. Her say so isn't good enough, it has to be in the office records. If you now want to adopt a dog, you HAVE to take your dog to an office and pay for heart guard or you are not fit to save a dog from a kill shelter.
I know there have to be rules, but heck, I can get them written recommendations from the retired vet that I give my own shots. They can do home visits all they want. I will send them pictures and stories for
their web sight for the next 14 or 15 years if they want. Rabies records I can understand. Why do they require proof that the dogs and cats that I have are on heart guard from a vets office for me to adopt a dog from a kill shelter ? ! ? ! The gal who does golden retriever rescue home visits was here yesterday. Her daughter takes riding lessons from mine. She knows my horse vet and knows my dogs and that is good enough for her. She will give me a golden if we want one. sigh..... not into goldens. they are ok but not what I am looking for. I would rather have Morgan.
Sorry about the rant,
april
byhalia