Re: [RC] Dually or not? - Mary Ann Spencer

A few months ago, I bought my first diesel and first duelly.  Even with the bumper pull trailer, it feels more stable.  I also had an exhaust brake installed.  The gooseneck definitely feels stable with the duelly but this is my first gooseneck too.  I have been towing with half ton 5.4 liter gas engine.  An aspect to consider is also what you may be towing the a few yrs.  The diesel and deully combo will tow most anything. Not so with the gas and nonduelly.  The diesel engne will give you twice the longevity of the engine verses the gasoline.

The rest is just what one can afford safely.  I have a Dodge.  I stay away from the chevy due to some bad experiences.  Strangers stop and tell me how beautiful my truck is and how dependable it is, ie on the job or personal.  I have seen some good comments about the Duramax tho.  I am concerned about the Ford as they have been doing a lot of tweaking to their diesel engine.   My last truck now has 168,000 miles in 7 yrs of drivning.. I may die before this diesel has hit 400,000...lol
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2007 9:59 PM
Subject: [RC] Dually or not?

We are looking for a truck here in BC Canada to carry a 9' camper and to tow a 3 horse BP stock trailer.  Do we really need a dually for stability for the camper?   Is that the only benefit of a dually?    We currently drive a 1994 GMC 1 ton dually gas but it doesn't seem to have enough power/torque for the big hills and its killing us in gas.  Gas here on Vancouver Island in BC Canada is $1.17  per litre.

We would like to find a Duramax diesel but they are like gold around here.

Karen